A step towards a better tomorrow...


At times, a small incident, a 5 second conversation, an 8 yr old child can make you realise the harsh realities of life. While interacting with the Children at the Taimoor nagar slum area, I was still unaware, untouched by the truth…until I met her. A small girl peeped at me while she helped her mother make rotis. My eyes caught her. I went inside; her mother smiled at me and offered rotis. “I am full, Kaki!” I replied. As her mother went inside, in an attempt to have knowledge about what future the girl dreams for, I asked the girl, “So, u tell me, what is the one thing that you would like to change in your life?”  The Girl stared at me for some time and then replied, “I would exchange my parents with yours, and then I would have everything that you have!” Her answer just shot back at me like a bullet. I stood up and left the place. 

Photograph by Madhureema Sen at Taimoor Nagar slum area


Her words left me wondering. Is it really my credit that I am now a PG student doing my masters in Advertising? Should I really take pride in flaunting all the latest gadgets that I have? No! The answer came from within. I should rather be grateful to god, my parents, and most of all my destiny. I have been fortunate enough to be born out of rich, well established and educated parents. I had the privilege to enjoy all my rights, all the luxuries of life…by chance! Had I been born in the dingy lanes of Taimoor nagar, things would have been totally different. Sometimes mere statistics don’t touch us…but to witness a live situation where you can actually relate to the statistics of the 34% of the girl population dropping out from schools for poverty, child marriage, caste and gender discrimination, is impactful.  

At CRY - Child Rights and You, I got a chance to be aware of such ultimate truths. Most of the time, we neglect our responsibility by blaming the government and the system. It’s high time we stop the blame game and do our bit. I, as a CRY volunteer, tried to convince and make the parents of the Taimoor nagar slum area aware of the benefits of education – how it would help their children shape their future, how education changes one’s perspective and life style, how it could help them build a better tomorrow. The effort lies not only in getting children admitted to schools, but to retain them in schools and decrease the rate of school drop outs and that can be ensured only when the parents of the dropped out children are convinced about the benefits of education. Getting a child admitted to a school is no doubt a change that we make in the system, but the focus should be on a permanent change by making sure that the child doesn’t drop out from his/her school. Work not just for development but a sustainable development… a change that stays and creates a better tomorrow.

If a few hours from my life, few convincing words to create awareness can make an impact in the system and help at least shape up the future of one underprivileged child, then why not? If I could make a difference, then why not You? Rise! Be the changemaker…

By: Madhureema Sen, Intern, CRY – Child Rights and You

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Newspapers Talking About Results of Knowledge, Attitude and Practices Study Done for Girl Child Education Campaign 2012

Let’s Talk Periods! - It is the Need of the Hour

We all have great potential for change; All we need is a little motivation.- Rupal's Internship Experience with CRY